Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Vicksburg National Military Park

In the poem "Pilgrimage," Trethewey describes the National Military Park in Vicksburg, Mississippi. I'm a bit familiar with the place--my wife's high school was adjacent to the park, and when we visit her folks, we often go running there (much of the time is spent dodging RVs from vacationers doing a Civil War tour). It's a fairly awe inspiring place, as I think the poem suggests: I believe every state, Union and Confederate, erected huge memorials there, just as she describes.

I thought you might benefit from a look at the park, so through the magic of Google, I found someone, "ecm777," posted a slideshow of their photos. I can attest to their accuracy from my own experience, but can't really tell anything else about the photographer, unfortunately.



Vicksburg National Military Park Monuments

You might also benefit from looking over a more reputable source: the official website from the National Park Service, which has this gallery of memorial images.

No comments:

Post a Comment