Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Your Georgia Tech Experience

Today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution contains an article about a matter that will impact your experience at Tech, the quality of your education, the prestige of your degree, and the future of the state in which you now live.

Recently, the Georgia House of Representatives asked the Chancellor of the University System of Georgia to prepare a plan for a new $300 million cut in the state's contribution to the system--that's on top of the $265 million already in place.

Now, this cut represents a worst-case scenario, but if it went through, Tech would face just over $38 million in cuts, resulting in over 450 layoffs. Here's what that would mean for you, according to the report prepared by the Board of Regents and the USG:
  • Decrease of 2010-11 admissions by 20%
  • Canceling of 540 sections scheduled for 2010-11
  • Longer time to graduate (a result of canceled sections)
  • Increase of student-teacher ratio to all-time high of 24:1
  • With faculty teaching more classes, they can do less research. That means fewer research opportunities for undergrads, and fewer positions for grad students (if you're thinking about staying for grad school)
  • Reductions of police and other support around "border areas" (i.e., Tech Square & North Ave. Apartments)
  • Massive reduction in student employment opportunities
  • 25% reduction in maintenance staff, resulting increase of average work-order time from 3.5 days to 6 days
  • Library: no new books; 42% reduction in library hours
I recommend that you review the full report on the System's website.

So, what do you do with this information?

We can discuss this in class, but you may want to use the strategies for argument developed in 1101 to convince your parents and perhaps your legislator (find out who that is here), or you may want to use some of your multimodal communication skills to create a student Facebook group in response. Think about it, and we can discuss.

UPDATE: I've heard from colleagues at other institutions that students from across the system are gathering at the Capitol on Monday, March 15, to express their concerns about these proposals. I would be pleased to hear about any Ga Tech contingent that might join them. Check out this article from UGA's excellent student paper, The Red & Black.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Hoefer,

    I have found that another way to convince your legislators is to call them. One of my main concerns as I mentioned in class is cutting the 4-H Program as I have been a member for this program since I was in 5th grade and because I currently work for the program. They are voting on this tomorrow night at 8 pm. I have called around 3 representatives, the Speaker of the House David Ralston, and Senator
    John Wiles. Also, emailing is a good option at this time for some of these proposed plans because time is crucial and hand-written mail will take longer. In my phone calls and e-mails, I mainly talked about how Georgia 4-H and GT have impacted my life and how the changes in each will affect me and my fellow peers. I would like to encourage my peers to take the effort and sound their opinion officially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Dimple--and it looks like the work of you and other 4-Hers has worked! 4-H is no longer on the chopping block!

    ReplyDelete